SailNet Community - View Single Post - MD3B Volvo-Penta sea water to fresh water conversion
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003

geohan is on a distinguished road
MD3B Volvo-Penta sea water to fresh water conversion

Peter, for the saltwater pump I replaced the single belt alternator drive pulley with a double sheave pulley to also drive the saltwater pump. This was the hard way since it also required the fabrication of a husky adjustable mounting bracket. The easy way would be to buy a 12-volt bait well pump. The expansion tank was made up out of 3" copper drain pipe and was about a foot long with an inlet at the top and an outlet at the bottom. Since I used a standard car radiator cap, a vent was necessary which lead up and into the rear of the cockpit. If it started to pass steam I would know something needed attention. I see no reason the expansion tank could not be made of the hot water type PVC pipe. Browse through the plumbing aisle at Home Depot and you should be able to find suitable fittings that are simply solvent welded together. Be sure to mount the expansion tank in the high part of the system to avoid air locks. None of this is high tech so don''t be intimidated. Good Luck, George
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook