SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin 38 Centerboard
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Irwin 38 Centerboard

Bob-m,

Thanks for the information on the Irwin 38 centerboard. The boat does indeed seem to be a "mixed bag." There is only one review on the boat under the Sailnet checkboat section under "Irwin 38 Classic." The owner spoke very favorable of the boat.I found one other review on the net from a yacht designer and he spoke favorable of the boat also, except he mentioned some short comings on the boats interior joinery,etc. I was surprised to read your comments about the boat not earning high marks in regard to speed. I had previously tried to look up the PHRF-NE rating of the boat,but the chart didn''t have a rating for the 38CB. It did have one for the 39CB & the 38-2,and both of those were 126. I thought the 38CB would probably be somewhere in the mid 130''s,but it sounds like my guesstimate must be off. To me, a boat in the 130''s isn''t a racer,but would be acceptable for my needs if she met my other criteria.I''m not really concerned with the fit and finish of the interior because I have pretty good skills in all the construction type trades and have made some major interior changes on the boat I presently have.I don''t know much about the Irwins,but this boat caught my interest.It seemed to have some potential in meeting my needs, while being fairly inexpensive. Each time I think I have my list narrowed down on boats to pursue, I seem to get side tracked on to another boat. I''ll probably go completely mad before I choose, so I guess I''ll be happy with whatever I purchase. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook