SailNet Community - View Single Post - luger 30 ???
Thread: luger 30 ???
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
luger 30 ???

Lugers were kit boats that were widely advertised back in the 1970''s and early 80''s. As an owner finished boat I have seen all kinds of levels of fit and finish, on these boats. I have seen some very knowledgeable build outs, as well as, some very ill-advised corner cutting and non-regulation complying systems.

From a design standpoint these were boats concieved more from the standpoint of being the biggest posible trailerable than from actually being able to sail. Years ago I taught a couple to sail who had built one but who had never learned how to sail. They had bought a bunch of new sails and some pretty good gear but for all of my tweaking I found that this was a very poor sailing boat by any objective standard.

They had a lot of room down below but the Lugers that I have seen have had a pretty wide ranging variation in their interior layouts, again some were pretty clever but others were just plain silly.

The boat that I had taught the owners to sail had a beautifully built out interior. The fellow was a former furnature maker. His electical, rigging and plumbing work left something to be desired. Helping with changes to this boat, I thought that the factory glass work seemed pretty poor with poorly wet out and poorly adhered sections of glass.

In the end if the boat was cheap enough and you were concerned with lots of room and not too concerned with sailing ability and you found one that was reasonably built and maintained then this might be a reasonable choice. Otherwise run don''t walk the other way.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook