SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased a Cal 22. I would also be happy to hear about an modifications or experiences that other Cal 22 owners have found noteworthy. If anyone has a manual or instructions for raising the mast, it would be helpful. I have experience sailing sunfish and 40 to 50 foot boats, nothing in between, so the initail rigging and getting in the water will be a new experience with the Cal.

I am in the Ohio River/Kentucky area, but we are going to try and sail on a local lake vs. the river in 2008. The Lake is Taylorsville Lake and is known for fishing not sailing. It is a "finger" like lake with land masses rising much higher than the water all around. Read "shifty winds". The sailing is not likely to be good, which is why I thought the nimble Cal 22 (fin keel) might be a good bet for the conditions. I sailed a friends O'Day 25 on Taylorsville. It was OK, but I am expecting more from the Cal 22. We will join two O'Days in the marina to make a total of three sailboats on the lake. So why am I sailing here you ask...it's five minutes from the house.

Intially I was concerned about being over run by high speed yahoos in fishing and recreational boats, but my O'Day sailor friend says seeing sails is such an odysey for the motor boaters, that they shy away immediately. I'm OK with that.

Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook