SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 104 Live Aboard Courses, Virgin Islands - Feedback?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008

ps21 is on a distinguished road
I'm new to these forums, but I'll toss in my two cents.

As another suggestion for a school, my wife and I did the 104 course with Sistership Sailing School in the BVI. Small school run by a woman named Pat Nolan (in addition to her courses that are only for women, she also does programs for couples). We had a great trip and learned a lot on a nice boat (Beneteau 43). She was a very thorough, dedicated instructor (and a lot of fun to be around too).

Having taken a number of classes (and gotten several certifications) over the last few years at several different schools, it seems that what matters most is the individual instructor. In my first (and last) experience with a larger school some time back, the on-the-water instruction was with someone who was great and we learned a lot, but the classroom was with someone who just wasn't a very good teacher, and it was a waste of time. That experience has given me a preference for smaller operations ever since.

That was why I sought out Sistership. I knew who the instructor would be, and she came well-recommended. Having no experience with the other schools that have been mentioned, I have no way to make a comparison, but you might want to at least check out Sistership.

Good luck and have a great time.

Last edited by ps21; 03-29-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook