SailNet Community - View Single Post - atomic 4
Thread: atomic 4
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

If you''ve got spark, and you know she''s pumping fuel, then the next thing is the carb. How long has it been since it was last taken off and cleaned? Over the winters and idle times, gasoline breaks down and evaporates, yet leaves a residue or tar behind.

I don''t know how handy you are, but if you feel comfortable, it''s not too hard fix. In fact you have a couple of choices here.

The easiest and most expensive, call the mechanic in and he''ll hand you a bill that will make you seem like you bought a brand new engine.

Next, your options are more do-it-yourself. You can try a spray carb cleaner, but the engine has to at least run for this to work. Remove the air cleaner and any hoses or ductwork to reveal the carb. If you get it to idle, you can then spray the carb cleaner down the throat of the carb. This may make it stall, so be gentle at first, not too much. Then if it starts to run better you know you are on the right track. Once it starts to accept throttle, you can spray more and clean things up pretty well. I''d then put a can of injector/carb cleaner in the fuel tank. It will also make things run rough, so you only want to do that once in a while.

If the spray approach does not work, you may have to remove the carb and either clean it yourself or have it done at a shop. I would not attempt this if you are at all internal combustionally challenged. A simple fix is to take it down to a marine engine parts shop and get a rebuilt unit. You will get a core return for your old carb and get a factory reconditioned unit in return. The core return fee is only pennies on the dollar, but it keeps the parts supply for rebuilds moving along.

Good luck.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook