SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Portable Generator
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
That should be more than enough panels and battery storage. I was running my entire house and business on less. A boat should be pretty much self sustaining with that. I could get by on less because my system was set up more like a hybrid system. Around a home and business I frequently had to accomodate high loads and used the generator for those situations and charged batteries at the same time. It was cost prohibitive to have enough battery storage and panels to do everything without a generator. You can get a lot of cheap electricity from a small generator. Your payback on panels and batteries takes a very long time. You can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of them. It's an option if your budget limits options for panels. I would take storage over panels if I had a back up genny.

The most useful tool I had was the meter which gives you a clear indication of your use, demands and reserve. On a windy night I used to grin when I looked at all the juice flowing to my battery bank.

You learn to get smart about your power consumption. When I sold out and moved to town my electricity bills were way less than any of our neighbours or friends. You get accustomed to conserving if you are generating the power.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook