SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Portable Generator
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 04-01-2008 Thread Starter
bushrat
Banned

Oh, for sure. That's why I got the generator too and it is handy to have around for the house, boat, camping etc. For me I plan on just having a small panel to maintain the batteries and to run some 12v lighting. I'll pull out the genny for anything else. It's the most practical way I can think off for time spent away from the dock. The boat fund is not unlimitted. If I were cruising long term I would rethink things, but even still it's hard to beat a small economical portable generator. I knew others that lived off the grid that used the honda as back up to a large generator and didn't have any panals. They put the money into batteries and the inverter. It's a bit different with a house since most days you need a generator for big loads. My wife gave me a good run for the money with the washing machine just about every day. Plus with three small children in tow I wasn't about to say you can and can't use this or that. An automatic start feature on a generator/inverter system is nice. That way you don't hit the batteries to hard.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome