SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boomed Staysail
Thread: Boomed Staysail
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The staysail boom is the easiest way (least amount of hardware) to make the sail self-tacking.

If you want that feature, but not the boom, you need an Elvstrom-style traveller track for the staysail - arguably just as much in the way depending on just where it would have to live to be effective.

If the rig geometry is such that the inner forestay can be removed, as jrd suggests, then perhaps that is something to investigate and you'll have the added advantage of not having to tack the genoa around the inner stay all the time. But it will also require rethinking the sheeting arrangements for the staysail.
Are you stalking me ??

Hey, there is a track of sorts that the sheet attaches to. Tacking the big genoa aorund the inner is a right royal pain in the butt but I'd like to try her out using a high cut yankee and the inner. Failing that I will investigate making the inner removeable although I suspect this will necessitate a baby stay.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook