SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boomed Staysail
Thread: Boomed Staysail
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm an idiot. No , don't deny it, you are just being charitable. Really, you are. Oh stop it. But you're sweet nonetheless.

Of course if I get rid of the boom I'll need a much longer track right across the foredeck or the thing will never sheet in correctly. The track that the boom attaches to is really too short for boomless. Probably still worth doing though, particularly if it's feasible to make the inner removeable. The track, or more importantly the frame it would need to sit on would not be inexpensive.

On the other hand as I said before I want to see how she sails under yankee and staysail. Ms W is definitely going to prefer tacking the yankee rather than the genoa. If I'm happy with her performance under yankee and staysail I'll probably bite the bullet, get rid of the boom and make the inner removeable for very light winds.

Simon, yes the genoa is on a furler but not the staysail. Which does suggest another problem in that removing and bagging a big furling genoa is a right bugger, not to mention putting it back on. In that regard hanks are way ahead of luff wire for a furler.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-02-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook