SailNet Community - View Single Post - Binocular Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
It's been suggested already, but Stiener is considered to have the highest quality optics for all uses - but are very expensive. I must have purchased a half dozen so-called marine grade binoculars within the past 20 years, most failing the tests of actual use on the water.

I was determined to buy a Stiener, but didn't want to pay close to 1k for them. At the Newport Boat Show a few years ago, a rep at the Defender booth had all the top-rated brands on display as customer demos. We decided the newly introduced, Stiener 7x50 Marine binoculars were, by a close margin with Fuji and Nikon, the brightest and sharpest of all . . . and listed for only $300. We picked up a pair at the show special price of $240., including a great Stiener shoulder bag and sailing cap.

I do somewhat agree with Gringo that a compass isn't really needed, but there have been times when I wish this had one - such as taking a bearing off a landmark or nav aid when sailing. Regardless, this is a great set of binoculars for the money, with German glass, autofocus, incredible low light brightness, rubber armored, waterproof and shockproof.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 04-02-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook