SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So...I'm stripping the bottom of the hull...

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  TrueBlue 
#1 ·
I'm laying on my back on a concrete floor stripping paint off hull of my recently acquired Mac 22 - wondering two things...

1. Why is this fun and why would I take time off from work to do it? (I really am having fun...):)

2. How did a guy with no previous experience find the knowledge, materials and tools to do this?:confused:

The short answer is that I probably wouldn't have a clue (and might not even own a boat) without access to the internet and to the advice and education possible through places like Sailnet.com.

So, a quick word of thanks to all the folks here who have helped me find a real joy in life...Sailing!

#3 ·
I'm laying on my back on a concrete floor stripping paint off hull of my recently acquired Mac 22 - wondering two things...

1. Why is this fun and why would I take time off from work to do it? (I really am having fun...):)

2. How did a guy with no previous experience find the knowledge, materials and tools to do this?:confused:

The short answer is that I probably wouldn't have a clue (and might not even own a boat) without access to the internet and to the advice and education possible through places like Sailnet.com.

So, a quick word of thanks to all the folks here who have helped me find a real joy in life...Sailing!
Feel free to come have fun like that on my boat anytime!;)

#4 ·

Bottom paint induced brain damage... :) That's why you think it is fun. :)

Congratulations....and post some photos when you can.

#6 ·
Just wait until you have a head/holding tank problem. The fun is only starting.

#15 ·
Its really fun when you take the time to paint a boot stripe...sand a near perfect line, tape ever so carefully, tip off best you can...

just so the travel lift sling can rub all your hard work off :(
Chef -- After 4 dark and stormies you won't notice it one bit. And if you mention it to the yard they will bill you for removing paint, right?

#13 ·
Sorry, i thought it was "stripping the bottom off the ho" my apologies. thank you for understanding.
proceed with thread.
Actually, ive been doing this project as well or i've been watching Nimfy strip and paint the hull as i sit back and drink beer but all i here is bitching and complaining as i ask her to set the paint roller down, go below and get me another beer. jeez! what is it with woman? it was just a simple task. but the boat is looking nice.

#17 ·
I remeber when it was fun, dad had me sanding down the bottom, I was 16 didn't know any better, must have breathed to much of that stuff, never been the same. It was either that or all the alcohol.

#23 ·
You only enjoyed that so much since it wasn't your money paying for it. :) :)

#26 ·
I'm laying on my back on a concrete floor stripping paint off hull of my recently acquired Mac 22
Just be glad you're in a marina/ boatyard that allows you to do your own work!!!
Is it safe to assume he's doing this in his garage? That takes me back to my first boat - when boating was simpler and cheaper . . . don't miss trailering though. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.