SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew neeeded IMMEDIATELY, Cabo San Lucas to Tahiti & New Zealand (5-6 weeks)
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Cam,

I'm sorry you found my post 'negative'....with all due respect, somebody who asks for crew as the skipper above has done (i.e. send me your CV on day one, I'll review it and email you on day two, you fly in on day three and we leave in the morning for a month long passage.......)..... Well, come on, that's just nuts. Anybody who would take him up on it is nuts. Embarking on an extended ocean passage is a serious business. Selecting the right crew plays a key role in the safety of the boat and the success of the passage. There are lots of nuts in the world who just might fly in and make this skipper's trip a nightmere, or this might be a skipper who could put some newbie dreamer's life at risk. IMHO, this just isn't the way that competent seamen go about crewing boats for long offshore passages.

Believe me, as I speak from first hand knowledge -- spending three weeks at sea with a skipper who's got a screw loose can be a terrifying experience. And unless you have time to test the skipper and boat (which this guy was not offering), how do you know that a screw isn't loose?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook