SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew neeeded IMMEDIATELY, Cabo San Lucas to Tahiti & New Zealand (5-6 weeks)
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Hi QuakeCity,

Quote:
You say "seems fair to me" yet go on to say "I wouldn't consider the deal because he's not offering airfares " I guess you wouldn't because there's nothing fair about the deal!
I guess I didn't make my point very well (again.) I think it's completely fair for him to ask, but I agree with others the deal wouldn't work for me. This doesnt mean it isn't fair or OK for him to ask and post, or that it's not the perfect deal for someone else. Different people have different desires, time, experience, and financial situations.

I have a friend who crewed from Ecuador to Tahiti on a 41' cat this year on very short notice. He got his airfare covered but that was it. He just had the time and wanted to get back on the ocean after selling his tri a few years ago. There are people who can't afford their own boats but may be in MX or SoCal already and just waiting for a chance to crew across the Pacific.

There are also other people willing to pay big bucks for sailing lessons and experience, much, much more than airfare for a delivery with meals aboard covered. For instance, these guys are coming into our marina later this month Clipper Round The World Yacht Race I don't know what it cost them but I think they're paying more than airfare. Not apples to apples I understand but still.

Just my two cents, I really don't think the guy was out of line. One person's bad deal is another person's dream, that's all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook