SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post
How'd you get your start in sailing I'll add a poll with hopefully enough choices to get everyone!
Nope..... not everyone I had rescued/re-furbished my father's 14' wood and canvas canoe, got sick of paddling, ordered a sail kit from Old Town canoe factory in Maine, and built my own sailboat. Before returning it to a normal canoe again I set up a main and jib, and all lines led aft to me in the rear of the 2 thickly padded seats on the floor. In the last iteration of my few years of experimentation I had gone from 'gig' type rope steering with a reverse jam cleat system brake to wheel steering with a Tiller Tamer as a brake for the rope steering. Also went through a couple lee board designs and eventually set up a couple of retractable amas actually making it a Trimaran - So there SD..... I had a Trimaran waaayy...... before you And no.... no formal instruction, no internet, and sail mags were few and far between out in the woods of North Brookfield - Just Figure it Out - sometimes after a few tries
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook