SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Shows, turned into Carnivals
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Angry Boat Shows, turned into Carnivals

Okay here we go…not to assail any netters who ply their diverse trades at our ubiquitous boat shows, or those of you who sail their boats to these shows, rent a berth for the week hang a for sale sign on your vessel, and write it all off a business. Off topic already, sorry.

I too frequent these here in the North East, and I’ve had four distinct occasions in which the vender has not delivered or otherwise completed the purchase and sales. My latest is the purchase of a Bombard Dinghy from BoatersWorld™, nationally but delivery taken locally in Rhode Island. This latest failure of agreement is the delivery of the Manufactures Statement of Origin, MSO, which is required for registration on new boats, and is standard throughout the county.

Now I guess this is only a cautionary tale, but it irks me that otherwise “good industry” is run like a carnival, read derogatory connotation, during these tent shows.

My message here is each time my credit/debit card company has had to come to my aid and void the changes and strong arm the vendors into making good, yep receipt and my witnesses have had to give statements every time, but we’re boaters here and I’m depending on the bank to discipline the boating community?

Last edited by petegingras; 04-03-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook