SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008
Aspiring Trailer Sailor

scolil is on a distinguished road
Dad got a boat. I remember taking it on the Sacramento Delta. My big sister had the tiller. Dad told her to steer the boat away from the shore. She said she was. Dad looked down the transom and told the kids to get below. The rudder had broken off at the water line and the shore was jagged boulders! Fishermen on the bolders helped hold us off and we made it home safely. I think I was about ten.

That is my only sailing memory, but mom and dad have stories of me almost falling off the boat and being terrified if the boat heeled at all. We spent a lot of time waterskiing with mom and dad and five of us kids.

Dad still had the sail-boat and was talking about giving it to a neighbor a couple of years ago. I quickly corrected that thought, and brought the boat to Utah.

Before I was able to get the boat out here, my father in law was talking about getting rid of a Super Snark. So while I was arranging transportation for the Venture, I played with the Snark, and went sailing with a local club on some Lido's and a Catalina.

When I got the boat here I was able to take her out a few times before deciding that the swollen swing keel absolutely has to be fixed.

So I now have a boat and I am still going for it, learning little by little.

Merlin--I wonder how many would check the option for still dreaming?

Last edited by scolil; 04-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook