SailNet Community - View Single Post - Center cockpit or aft cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003

ct is on a distinguished road
Center cockpit or aft cockpit?

Please bear in mind that my sailing experience is very limited in this area, however I have been actively looking for quite a few months now.

In the boats I have looked at, it appeared to me that foward visibility seemed to be significantly better on center cockpits. I really have not considered the dodger issue and find that soomething that I should investigate and consider.

Also, the interior volume wasn''t appreciably larger in the aft cockpit just differently arranged, if you will. Staterooms in general seemed significantly smaller or maybe more compact would be a better term.

In thinking about the relative advantages and disadvantages of cockpit arrangement, a number of questions come to mind. One in particular bothers me. When storing provisions, equipment, gear and whatnot in an aft cockpit for extended cruising, is there a tendency to place the center of gravity (if that is the proper term) too far forward??

I should also point out that I have been looking at boats in the 48'' to 50'' range. Which prompts another question. I have recently looked at two Hinckley 49'' ketches with the "private" cockpit aft. While I really like the Hinckleys- who wouldn''t(?)- it seems the aft xtra cockpit is really wasted space. Does anyone have an opinion on this arrangement?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook