SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
As a kid I was always building rafts out of logs lashed together, then made one out of 55 gal. drums lashed together, anything to be on the water. My dad bought a 20' Vivacity sailboat (twin keel) when I was about 16 and I learned to sail it on Lake Washington (Seattle). First trip without Dad was at 17 out the locks to Puget Sound headed for the San Juans with two of my friends. I think we got to Kingston (less than 10 miles) before we had to turn around because I had no knowledge of currents and tides and the wind was right on our nose. But I was hooked, I realised that I could theoretically go ANYWHERE in a boat! My first sailboat was an 8' sailing pram that my wife secretly saved up for and bought me when our first born was just a baby. Have had several sailboats since then co-owned with my brother. Now we have a 40' pilothouse that we hope to spend several months a year on. Our younger son is about to make an offer on his first sailboat and hopes to take off across the Pacific for a few years with his new wife.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook