Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Garmin 478 GPS map.

What a really cool unit. It has preloaded all of the coastal maps for the US. I believe it even has Hawaii and Alaska. You can overlay weather on it, output it to your pc, etc.

It is like a mini, portable full function GPS. I have always said all that you need in a backup is lat and lon so you can overlay, but should you lose your main system, this think would sure be nice to have. Neat technology that would have been unheard of ten years ago.

Cost: It lists about 999 at West. I have seen it advertised in the 7XX. We got it at west last weekend for about $650... and I am sure they still made a profit!!

- CD
CD - I've had one of these for two years now, and agree that they are a great portable unit (mine would be even better if I paid what you did ). You completely left out all the complete STREET NAVIGATION for the entire US that's built into the unit too!

I frequently use mine when I'm on business trips to get me from one client to the next. I have also used it on a trip from Boston to Key West and back on my motorcycle. Some co-workers poke fun at it because it's not as small as a Nuvi or TomTom, but let's see them use one of those on a boat.

You can interface it with NEMA 0183 devices (DSC Radio, AutoPilot, etc.) and it has a built in Sattelite radio control - the antenna (receiver) costs $300, so I'm not going to call this a tuner - that can provide XM weather service if you subscribe, you can plug in a depth sounder/fish finder.... There is a lot in this unit.

I bought it initially because I sail OPBs, and could never count on knowing how to use the chartplotter on the boat that I got.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook