SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Puget Sound Sailnetters

5K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  artbyjody 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm taking "Oh Joy" out both Saturday and Sunday for some sailing. If any of you locals wanna come, just let me know.:D

Looks like a bit of rain Sat. but good breeze for both.

SAT
W WIND 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 OR 3 FT.

SAT NIGHT
W WIND 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING 15 TO 20 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.

SUN
W WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES 1 OR 2 FT.

#4 ·
I got it and your on! See my PM for my contact info.

Anybody else up this way wanna come?

For those wondering where the hell Skyline is..., here's their website:

Skyline Marine Center-Portal to the San Juan Archipelago
Thanks much! I never made it that far when I sailed the last two summers.. (Whidbey Island was about as far as I could get for the weekend and make it back) so it will certainly be enjoyable - I'll definitely bring my camera for this...For those in Seattle - its a pretty painless drive about 1.5 - 2 hours but well worth it as well...thanks again for the invite and will see you and others on Sunday!

#5 ·
Twould be fun, but have a ski instructor exam to give on saturday, and a raco off of edmonds sunday. Winds are forecast for N 5-15 last I looked here in the main part of the sound! and partly sunny to sunny to boot:):):).

Marty

#13 ·
I tried talking the 1st mate into heading out the Pass and looking for you guys this weekend but she was at the tail end of cold that's been going around, so we stayed home and did our taxes instead, so we had a lot more fun than you guys. Next time.

#14 ·
It was nice out, as far as it goes. It stopped raining just before we headed out. We tacked against variable winds until we cleared the bay and into the Strait. The winds then went to 12-17 for a rail dipping run across to Lopez. We then sailed within 10 degrees of apparent (damndest thing I seen) at 2 knots in 15 TWS for about 5 minutes waiting for a tanker to clear off. Then I fell off, tightened up and charged across the tanker's wake at 7 knots or so. It made the younguns squeal a bit. After we got back across and fell off sorta downwind, the wind dropped and the rain came for about a half hour. We got back to the bay, found a bit of breeze and finished up our 4.5 hour tour. Another group of newbies hooked on sailing and enough of a good sail to get me through the week. Again, we were the only sailboat out there.

#15 ·
Good thing it wasn't a three-hour tour... or I'd have to call you Skipper.. or gilligan. :)

#18 ·
Thanks Marty for having me along, it was a blast.

I am sure Marty's account will differ, but we all met up 10 AM at Shilshole Marina's gas dock. Did the AFOC greeting (and if he is not one - he has my nomination now)...

Got everything prepped. And I have to say a very nicely laid out boat. Lines were intelligently routed, new, color coded, no clutter whatsoever. I was kinda amazed by the interior as well.

What interested me alot was the traveler was on the deck in front of the cabin way entry. I'll admit - I initially wondered how that would work - but it was alot less clutter when sailing than what I have experienced with over deck traveler. But enough of the BS - great looking boat...

I was more worried about how I would actually effect the team there, that consisted of his two sons, his daughter, and me...Me being a bit rusty to begin with and not all that knowledgeable..(more to come on the results of that)...

We positioned to start at a good spot, but got cut off by a boat coming down our starboard side... none the less, got out of the gate with much of the fleet behind...I have to admit - I would of been freaked out a bit myself, but calm cool - collected.... they were and once we got got out - you couldn't wipe the smile off Marty's face if you tried.

His daughter explained to me "That is his sailing face, I've never seem not smile no matter what as long as the sails are up and the boat is going"...

We had to turn past the "Rock", which was an actual rock..We came around, and unfortunately - we lost about ten minutes because I was absolutely no help trying to assist his son get the spinnaker up, and somehow or another his son should of trusted his judgment (Taking blame for it as lack of not knowing what to do is no excuse - but if I would had a few brews - it would of been up in in no time! ha ha)... Luckily, Marty came up got things squared away and off we went...

We finished some where in the middle of the class, executing a bunch of gybes to beat out few boats that were trying to close in...The Committee Members enjoyed the action at least.

And that is the update - I'll have some pictures up - as his daughter was nice enough to use my camera and get tons of them (come to think of it she didn't get pictures of the spinnaker mishap - so it didn't happen).

It was great fun! Thanks for having me as part of the team!

Attachments

#19 ·
Sorry Jody,

049.jpg is the spinny screw up, or at least ONE of the two screw ups. Not sure if that is the hoist up screw up, or the gybe screw up that did not work! Oh well, as they say, the worst day sailing, beats the best day working!!

I want to know what happened to Tenuki, saw him driving down the road, said he could come......oh well........maybe he got out on his boat.

Dejonda had his main up when I came into the marina, so hopefully his fix's were getting fixed!

marty

#20 ·
Marty:

I hope you liked my "new" mainsail... I had Schattauer sails add a second set of reef points, sail numbers, and the C30 logo...

I also got my new traveler installed. I'm starting to become a happy camper..
Now I can get my new dodger fabricated, and start on the rigid boom vang..

This is an expensive year for the boat. Can't afford too many more of these!

I'll be chasing you guys around the course soon!

David

#21 ·
David,

I saw the sail up while at the south end of the marina outside the park. By the time I got into the marina and started down tween the E and D docks, your main was pretty much down. Thought about motoring down and saying HI! But motor stalled as I turned the corner, so coasted into my slip and called it good!

With a newish main, you will do better than me with a 22 yr old original main, and 142 genoa. Trying to talk spouse into new sails. But her biz is down some 70-80% due to the real estate/lending market. So the 12G fo cushions and new bottom paint etc last yr is probably it for another yr. We had boat speed yesterday, but with old sails, I can only oint to with in 50 degree max, usually 60, so the others in the fleet were pointing to 40-45, and we had to travel a bit more, so finished 6th behind the front 5 about 15 min behind, then the last 5, with me in front finished with in 15 min overall. The front 5 finished with in 15 min of ea other, all with good sails etc. GRRRRRRR should be with them.

What can one say about old boats, kinda pricey. Hopefully you do not have to redo the interior as I have done mine. here is a link, mostly for Jody and why the interior looks reasonably nice. about 150 hrs of work!
Headlining Replacement
That is the aft cabin redo, then at the bottom of that page is a link to the head redo. Did not get pics of front V berth nor the main cabin.

Anyway, off to take wife to scotts, meet a client, then hopefully to the boat about 4'ish to fold the genoa that was stuffed into the front v berth for my motor home.

Excentric across from me and towards the end of D dock, got first in there division, A bit of a positive, as there is a J29 in there division that is hard to beat, and they did so, IIRC the J29 was in the top 10 of 48 norths top 25.

marty

#22 ·
Nice to see ya'll got out yesterday. It was rough as hell up North and we got pounded going to weather in 30+. It was nasty enough for me to put reefs in the Genny and Main until we got into the San Juan channel. Lotsa green water on deck and a nice intro into sailing the big boat for my Son In Law. Lotsa carnage too. One broken table from flying gear and one blown out Headsail later in the evening. It literally blew to shreds. We saw 6-8 foot seas and had three Mal de Mar victims until we made the turn into the channel.

Climbing another wave

Digging in

Yeah, I see them. I wasn't sending anybody down that side deck in this to retrieve fenders. We had so much green water running down the decks that it took the fenders, docklines and anything else into the water. We just cleaned it up when we got a break later.

#23 ·
Charlie-

That's the problem with having such a big heavy keel... it prevents you from climbing the waves properly. :) :) Looks like a good day to be out... I was told my boat is getting launched next week. :) :) A bit later than I wanted.... but beats some who are on the hard until May. :)

#24 ·
Not sure I would have wanted 30 knot winds yesterday, but there was a lull that went from 10-15 down to 7-11, and that killed us time wise. Then again, 30 knots would have been fun too!

n hindsite, kinda amazing that 30-50 miles difference in area, and what the winds are doing. On teh way from Shilshole to edmond, winds were 5-8 most of the time, and less than 5 going into edmonds marina!

Marty

#27 ·
We went to Coronet Bay this weekend. Sailed north with just the head sail yesterday and had a nice little run. Coming home today, the wind was on our nose from Hope Island to the entrance of the Swinomish Channel. I estimated it blowing around 20 to 25 knots. We motored right into it with the current, which was against the wind, so it made for a wet ride, but not bad tucked in under the dodger. Not sure I would have wanted to be out on Rosario today.

#29 · (Edited)
Sometimes, I wonder what I get myself into. Today was that 70 degree day that I hoped would BE THE ONE (meaning I would get "Hello Gorgeous" slipped into her new home.)

That guy who says "You can just call me David", answered one of my frantic calls.

I was seriously trying to get a hold of Frazer, as I was having a mental breakdown. Instead he pretended he was, and instructed me to head down to Dock D at the Edmonds Marina, where he told me his offices were. I should of known something was amiss about this, when he stated the directions and said, "Do NOT get into the Ferry lane as if you do - there is no return from your condition. I won't be able to help you."

So, I literally engage the super charged 2 gallons per minute tricked out commuter car and blast up the highways. I am scared, confused, dis-oriented, and possibly hungry.

You all know that feeling, of the sinking in -but hasn't sunk in far enough of : "Damn, why did I go do that. 500% bigger, better, and more able than what I can handle. But I had to show off my inadequacies 1000 fold, because the fear of doing it all right is only eclipsed by, the knowing that what you are about to do is about to make you the poster child for 'forget they were with us'."

I miss the turn, and left my notes on the back seat of the jet car, which doesn't have a top because I had to sell the top to pay the taxes and license fees. You know for the new to me and oh I didn't actually purchase - the supposed upcoming challenger to Guilleta in the "2099 Whose Speed Meter shows the most knots over 100 Showdown". So now I am lost. I guess doing 80 mph on the highway to make a doctors appointment - paper in the back seat has no obligation to "stay put". And the phone rings.

Its Frazer whom asks me to call him David.

"Yes Dr Frazer ahem David", I answer.

"You almost here?", he asked.

"Yes Dr. David, I just passed some ferry lines.", I replied.

"Good because your first task may be to get me gas, as I ran out. And you are very close, what kind of car do you drive."

Knowing that paying a celebrity like Frazer (though why did he keep asking me to call him David), was gonna be almost as much as what I paid for my boat. I got nervous, because I assumed he had a Hollywood car like a Hummer, and bingo - I would get trapped for another $1000 dollars.

So, I lied, and said, "I am driving a Vespa - No gas for you"...

Frazer err David was disappointed, but instructed me to proceed as he was interested in this particular session. He said he would be the only one on the docks pushing a wheeled gas tank.

I arrived. And indeed, I spotted him, pushing a something - but the gas tank was weird. It had hoses and pull start on it. And something else struck me as fishy - he had hair and a bit of a beard. Didn't look like the Frazer, but decided that would assume maybe that since Frazer no longer had sitcom stresses to deal with - his baldness was cured or so. But I was getting all nervous and distraught again...even more so when we get to the gas docks and I realized that he filled that tank up and he reflected, "Hmmm only 48 cents... I thought it would be more than that."

For a moment I was relieved and before I could give him my spare change down the docks we go...

Frazer has a boat - a bigger one than mine. It wasn't a office of any sort that I could make out. I kinda stood there dazed and confused. But David, asked, "You know I need to clean the office up a bit - why don't I start this thing (what looked like an odd gas tank that costs only 48 cents to fill) and you clean up topside on the stern / aft side. "

I guess a boat could be an office.

So, this things sprays water and I am wondering - so that gas / water miracle engine does work. I spray a bunch of stuff. It almost felt like work - but it was therapeutic! I begin to feel better and maybe this David - Frazer person is the real McCoy. I actually scowled instead of frowned for the first time in 24 hours.

Then David leaves to take the miracle engine away as he is afraid someone will steal it. Instructs me to become one with his office. Remove this, tend to that, you know what to do - pretend like you are getting ready to get your boat ready for a sail.

It seems like 3 hours, 19 minutes but its really only 3:19, but I am not positive as my watch is stuck at that time and some phrase comes to mind: "It's 3:19 AM - and a call comes. Do you know where your boat is".

Kinda freaky and maybe why I am glad for the first time in my life I am seeking professional help...

I get atta boy, and more instructions but I feel like I am going into a trance. And soon - we are out in the water. Sails go up, and I become fascinated that this is like reliving sailing in Elliot Bay. You know that feeling, when the sun feels 70 degrees and its a gorgeous day - but not even a whisper of wind...day in day out - one wonders why they even buy a sailboat sometimes.

I begin to get agitated again, even with the doctors soothing voice and encouraging words. Then he states - "You know why don't we cheat a bit with your treatment."

"Cheat?" I reply.

"Yeah, I am hungry and its part of the session. You drive and have to buy us lunch. It'll relieve some of your pain associated with the monetary lapse of judgment you recently have had."

So we do this as I am possibly hungry to, but in the final positioning - almost get knocked down AND NEARLY capsized by the 4 inch wake of the Ferry, that rudely crossed in front of us after blasting its horn.

"Damn must be a New Yorker taxi driver at the helm of that thing", I exclaimed.

We tie up and eat. We come back, but the doctor is delayed by some bodily errand he has to run (maybe putting more die in his hair - those guys can be finicky about appearances I hear). He arrives at the floating office now known as boat. I find that I wished this session would be over because I wanted to nap after eating fish and chips, and drinking the pitcher of beer. Alas, my treatment is now in full gear!

Lines are tossed and Dr David Frazer instructs me, "This boat is yours. You must constantly go through the actions of docking, and remember you have a wide beam".

Forward, reverse, neutral..give it power, no reverse, no forward, stay in straight line were commands I heard in my head. It was all getting confusing as suddenly Somali gunboats are appearing everywhere. The only thing I knew was there is safety at the pier. A warship barrels down up us at one point as I try to steer in reverse. Yet, David, is cool calm and collected with the exception that his shirt is stained with water from the armpits to about his belly. But he continues smoking his Havana and exclaiming, "Please son, do not ram the pier - I have three unpaid mortgages on this fine vessel!!!"

Somehow - even though, we never rammed anything - it was pretty hairy and I was more scared of damaging this revered Hollywood actors / real life psychiatric professionals vessel than I would of taken pride in - if say I would of taken out a few fingers of the dock.

AThe session is over sooner than it begins and it is now 3:19. Its back into open water with porpoises and otters guiding us in - almost a movie like scenario. Suddenly I was no longer afraid, confused, or hopeless and definitely not hungry. I was gonna go home. Frazer allowed me to pull it into slip.

He ties it it up and I ask, "What do I owe for this session?"

"Nothing - I never knew this office could move in water. I should pay you instead. BUT I am not getting the royalty checks I used to. No TIP for you..."

I drop 48 cents into the kitchen sink as I leave. As I realize maybe this was more therapy for him after the show canceled and all (and felt bad about the royalty thing and that he had to pay for that new traveler he got with his office).

We part ways, me refusing a lift to my "Vespa". I didn't want him to know that it was jet powered super car, afterall he didn't know his office could do anything but be be an office.

True story...

P.S. Thanks David :) I feel more confident now! You are to be awarded (sometime in life I guess) for volunteering use of your boat for what could of been sacrificial(to your boat) docking lessons for me... so glad I wasn't in my usual form! I would hate for Pollard to post the images of the carnage as I suspect they would look worse than that of a 2005 Bennetaue for 24K if they would of popped up on YC..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.