SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on 1976 Hunter '30
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on 1976 Hunter '30

Well it's that time of year again.

I've found two boats in my neck of the woods that can probably be had for the amount of money I can probably lay my hands upon.

The boat would be used for day sails and the occasional weekend (2 nights max) by myself and my wife; with the likelihood of one other adult and possibly a small child.

We would be sailing either Cayuga or Seneca Lake in the NY Fingerlakes.

My first choice is a 1976 Hunter boat that has a sign on it saying it's a '29 My research tells me there was no '29 in 1976; but the listing photos of Hunter '30's from that period match exactly; so that is what I believe it is. (I've not been aboard this vessel yet.)

From the ground it looks sound. Rudder, keel, shaft, cutlass bearing, all look pretty good. Roller furling rig on the head-sail looks pretty new. Pedestal Steering. Probably the original Yamaha 12 hp diesel, from what I've been reading.

Any comments on the comfort level with the Hunter '30?

My second choice is a similar era (1974?) Catalina '27.

The Catalina looks rode hard and put up wet; but can probably be had for a song. The hull looks good, apart from a gouge about 8" long above the water line that has gone through the gel-coat and into at least one layer of mat. It appears fresh and dry, so I expect that is a repair I can do myself.

The standing rigging looks new, the running rigging, ok.

The tiller arm is rotted and needs to be replaced.

I love the V berth , perfect for Smurfs

Having read all the reviews I can on both boats I am leaning towards the Hunter.

I know recent vintage Hunters are poorly regarded on this forum; but I seem to recall some comments speaking more favorably of the older ones. Am I correct?

I know all of the standard look-outs of a boat of this age; but can anyone speak to some out of the ordinary things that are know for either of these boats?

I'm trying very hard to be as objective as possible about every boat I look at; but I really want to get on the water this season.

Anything you guys could add would be of help.

Thanks, Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook