SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on 1976 Hunter '30
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Thanks Everyone!

That all pretty much bears out my first impressions. I've really got to get onto the Hunter for anything more.

I'll be talking to the current owners of both boats this week to try and get more information; but at this point I think I'll be pursuing the Hunter more vigorously.

I have some concerns about the Catalina.

>It was reported to me by a fellow owner in the Marina that the boat was sailed daily up through last summer. (a plus)
>>It is now in an estate sale, so you can read into that as is fit. So; the boat was put up at the end of last season and not covered; probably minimal winterization. (a big potential negative)
>>>It is FILTHY!!!!! Not that I mind applying a little elbow grease; but I wonder what that indicates the state of care by the PO in his twilight years. (a big potential negative)
>>>>The tiller arm is rotten through. Not that this is a big or overly expensive fix; but it seems to me that the rot is way more than would have developed over one winter. I fail to see how it could have been sailed in that condition.
>>>>>The very poor access Atomic-4 looks extremely dirty. If my engine looked like that it would indicate that I'd not touched it in at least several seasons. (again, reported that it ran fine at decommissioning)
>>>>>>Cutlass bearing is shot. There is easily an eighth inch of play.
>>>>>>>First impression of sails, rigging, and winches is that they are in A+ condition.

My question is this. How much might you be willing to pay for this vessel based on the information I've provided? Or would you walk away. Better condition models on YachtWorld appear to be selling from $5k to around $9k

For the record, the wife (inexplicably) seems to like the boat; and actually sees the need for work as a plus, as in learning experience. I have a more experienced eye in being able to truly understand what is likely to be in front of us.

The real advantage of this boat would be that it is likely to be inexpensive to purchase (not counting later boat $), and that it is located where we need it to be. The same two issues apply to the Hunter as well, maybe a little less so in the purchase price; remains to be seen.

Thanks again for your help,
Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook