SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retrieving Main Halyard from top of Mast?
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 04-07-2008 Thread Starter
CapnSantiago

Thanks for the alternative suggestions. This will fill in some of the above questions.

It is a masthead rig not fractional.
The headsail is rigged with a roller furling that I would have to dismantle to use the halyard.
I do not have a topping lift...I have a Hi/Lo Reefer (yes, I know..and it says it in big red letters on the side of the boom) in-boom roller for the main.
My shackle (as came with the boat) does not look like the Head Board Shackle picture above...it looks more like a snap shackle with the plunger pin (maybe I can get the PO that installed the wrong shackle to go up and get it...although I didn't know enough to know it was wrong...all this time I just thought it was more "convenient"...the crew I had that day didn't drink, but I sure did especially after this special event)

So I guess I'll be dismantling the headsail roller furling (can I get some help with how to do that?...I'm sure I can get it apart/down, but are there any tricks to reinstalling/adjusting it?) one way or another. I like and understand the concept of the "twitchy noose/spare line" concept since it keeps me from going up there. Although with my in-boom furler the mainsail luff runs in a track that stands off the mast 3-4" and stops short of the top of the mast 6-12" so the two (headsail & mainsail halyards) don't meet up...maybe I can use the concept and make something work.

So thanks for the input so far, but I'm still open to more if it keeps my feet on the deck.

CapnSantiago
Lake Texoma
1982 Islander Bahama 30
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome