SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spinnaker on Pearson 30
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003

BertV is on a distinguished road
Spinnaker on Pearson 30

Lots of questions. Is the mast set up for a spinnaker? Do you have a separate spinnaker halyard on a swivel at the masthead? If not, you need that. The jib halyard typically won''t do because of the spinnaker halyard comes out at an angle as it leaves the block. Lots of chafe if it''s not set up properly. Next would be the pole lift for the spinnaker pole. It should come out of the mast about spreader height with a snap shackle on the end. A down haul for the pole is also a must. For a 30 ft boat you should have a 3" diameter spinnaker pole and, depending on how you want to rig it, it will need pole ends. On my 30 ft Islander I prefer the end for end with identical pole ends. The pole dip takes more time and I find it more of a bother. In larger boats where you cannot handle the spinnaker pole for end to end gibing, the dip is the way to go. As for blocks, ou will probably need spinnaker blocks near the rear of the boat as well as snatch blocks for the guys near the stays. I would go for the Size 1 or 2 Ocean Blocks that Lewmar sells or have a look at the Harken catalog. They spell out the correct block size for boat length very well. It will give you an idea anyway and then you can decide what you want to purchase. I''ve learned over the years that if you skimp on the first purchase, you won''t on the second when the first block shatters. Then you will have paid good money above what you should have bought in the first place! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook