SailNet Community - View Single Post - Simrad Tiller Pilot
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
JerryR (and Carebear562)
I have a CS27 that came with a non-functional autopilot (forgot the brand... something not made anymore). After some research, I bought a Simrad TP10 which was far more modestly priced that comparable Raymarine tiller pilots. It has done the job for us over three seasons. It's primary purpose is to hold our course on relatively long stretches from southern Lake Huron to Tobermory and beyond to the North Channel and the rest of Georgian Bay (aka God's Country). Also useful when I'm BBQing on relatively flat water as we motorsail. Last year we sailed home overnight and the TP10 ran for about 16 hours without a complaint. The stroke on most tiller pilots is limited so you won't be tacking on a dime using the autotack feature but for good basic inexpensive and accurate control where you don't want to interface with other instuments, I would give the TP10 a good grade. The seastate and gain features are useful. I can rarely wait for it to self detect the seastate and usually set it manually, mess it up, then revert back to auto-detect. Time will tell how long it will last. Hopefully I will be successful attaching a picture of "Auto at Work" (Either that or a meaningless jumble of letters will appear below.)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook