SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My Purchase Update

8K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  CBinRI 
#1 · (Edited)
Today was the test sail and the survey on the 38 foot Barberis Show, I am purchasing. It is now a sealed deal...It needs some work as the teak needs to be replaced and on the port side a major chain plate leak, both which I was aware of when I did the initial walk through. Few other issues - but none necessarily warrant a major overhaul of the items. The only disappointment was the fact that it was advertised with VC-12 hard undercoating / ablative for racing - it was Pettit soft ablative. I can't fault the broker - but the seller definitely misrepresented that fact.

None the less the blister condition as noted last year on the vessel was corrected and in the end that is what I looked at, and more concerned with...however, another example of WHY one should get a survey, because I could of based my judgment merely on the owners survey of last year...glad I didn't and spent the money.

For the record I used Ned McCrae of McCrea Marine for the survey. He was INCREDIBLY thorough (even more so than my judicious inspection), answered all of my questions with thoroughness and once we got the feel for each other - was more than willing to volunteer concerns, possible solutions and the likes. He as well actually participated in the sail (something he admits he rarely if ever does) - cleaning up lines, helping with the gybes etc...

I'll even state that while I am not broker friendly myself, that Ryan Heiling, of Swiftsure Yachts, whom was the sellers broker, went above and beyond during the event. When I noted the ablative and questioned - he immediately retrieved records and was as disappointed as I was. At no time did he ever try to cut short what I wanted to do, and went above and beyond I think in more areas than that one - and a joy to talk to as well and imparted alot of relevant personal advice.

So now that the hoopla is out of the way:

PHRF Rating of 102.

Sails upwind well. 5 degrees off - 12 knots of wind 5-7 knots with the geneoa and main up. Was I ever amazed...

It points exceptionally well, and even without a autopilot, stays the course with minimal input.

11 additional sails to go with (most somewhat older but none the less)...

Engine is burning oil - smokes a bit when running and the oil residue is present on the hull... Supposedly a engine job was done - and my gut feeling is that there is an issue to soon be had. (Surveyor doesn't do engines). But its a Yanmar engine so plenty of parts and plenty of resources to identify and fix the problem I think...

Otherwise a great sail today, I think enjoyed by all. It simply is amazing the difference sailing this yacht versus the Cal-27 I taught myself on. In fact I will go as far to say this boat will make me a better sailor as it responds in a manner that lets you know when you are sailing correctly or not...

Some pics - and as of May 27th - my new boat :) Thanks again for all the inputs on the questions I posed, suggestions, and contributions from everyone....

Vehicle Boat Mast Watercraft Schooner

Marina Boat Vehicle Water transportation Sailboat

Water transportation Boat Vehicle Watercraft Sailboat

Water transportation Boat Vehicle Watercraft Yacht

Room Vehicle Cabin Boat Wood

See less See more
#5 ·
You mean April 27th, right?
No- May sadly - however working to be able fix items prior to - paying cash so my deal, in writing, is that closing date is May 27th so I have the funds for the boat as well as related taxes and other fees (USCG documents, etc). Allowed me to work within my means so to speak....There is a good chance that I will have the funds prior to - but at the time I made the deal - I erred on not having the full price so worked extended take delivery date into the deal knowing that by that date it would not be a issue finacially.

Thanks Charlie!

#7 ·
Congrats Jody. :)

#10 · (Edited)
good on ya!... Jody...She's a beauty

Alright Charlie...Jody starts LAST...:p

#15 ·
Congrats Jody...
The underbody looks very similar to our last boat, similar in size too, and you should get some good performance and enjoyment out of her.

Was the interior shot yours? Extremely well kept if so.

They are nice looking boats, typical of that era. Enjoy

#22 ·
Jody,

Looks good, inside and out, even the anchor is well appointed. One last thing, if it's a cash deal or even finance, do not over look an extra $250- $500 on a title search, yep it can be important.

You're familiar with this on a home, but i deem it more important on vessels. for the same reason we all love boating, it can take you anywhere you're mind and heart wish. So if someone has a lien on this vessel, it's tangible property, they won’t with quick court order, hesitate to haul it and prohibit access until the lean is settled. And if a seller has cash in hand, and your vessel has the lien, there’s no persuasive desire for the seller to settle the lien.

Sorry for the somber example, but you’ve done so much right.

#23 ·
Jody,

Very nice!! I'm not familiar with the make, but it certainly looks (and rates!) like a performance oriented racer-cruiser. Beautiful interior. Congrats to you, and keep us posted with some more photos and impressions once you've had a chance to sail her around a bit.

#24 · (Edited)
To answer questions (and thanks everyone)

Q: T34C Are you changing the name to something more ambiguous, like "Pat"?

I am renaming it "Hello Gorgeous", it was originally named Mischief, and last owner named it Veritas.. Since I plan on this one sticking around awhile, may as well re-name her. :D

Point: Petegingras do not over look an extra $250- $500 on a title search

That is being done as well, I do not anticipate any issues as the prev owner paid cash for it as well - but with a purchase such as this, I am not taking the risk :) Thanks for bring that up.

Q: Faster: Was the interior shot yours? Extremely well kept if so.

Interior shot is from the brokers ad - however, looks as good in person. That was one of the driving motivations, as I have no real interest in racing per se, but I wanted a vessel big enough and with a interior that worked for entertaining, and as well looked polished from the get go. It even has two heads, working galley (stove / oven with propane), and the vberth has headroom and stowage out the wazooo...I'll take more interior shots when I finally get to take ownership and do a little "decor" assignment..

Q: Simon: lovely boat jody, whats happening to the old barge?

Good question. The entire decision to purchase this one was driven by the amount of work I need to do the Catalina. The more I thought of it - a 10K boat is a 10K boat - at what point is the investment of 15K or more , and the time - to fix all the items and what not when I can only still sell it at 10K. Additionally - after 2 years of 27 feet with 8 foot beam, I was tired of being cramped with guests on board.

When I thought of my priorities - my social life consists of the marina and sailing - its the one time of year I get from under all the other pressures and the likes and I am actually the happiest... so for now - it is gutted, and most of the gear that I added in or replaced new will go into the new one. I may just sell it as a bare hull and let someone else go at it..or sadly - scrap it unless someone comes along and sees it as a platform for themselves to do the work and go...

Point: Pollard: I'm not familiar with the make,

It is Italian designed and built - Barbaris Cantieri built to Andrea Valicelli design. Barberis produced sailboats for only 6 or so years but they became very popular. Being a Mediterranean design, she has a notably bigger rig than other boats of her size, as is sail area. Hence in very light airs she may be the only yacht around that's moving (as demonstrated in during my test sail)...and welcomed immensely as light air is what we get predominantly down in Seattle...Charlie is much more lucky as he is located in what is called a convergence zone as evidenced by some of his adventures.

Barberis Show came in 29, 34, 38, and 42 feet depending on the years... the 38 I believe was only produced for 1982-1986. The hallmark of the vessel was the interior design. It has foam cored decks, cored from toerail down to just above the waterline and then is solid grp. For racing it comes well equipped as well - some 14 winches on board....and it has a Flying Dutchman flaking system - and I was very impressed with it - it really works!...

Hope that answers all :)

Max prop

Vehicle Boat Naval architecture Watercraft Mast

Full view with surveyor checking the entire hull...

#28 ·
It is not too bad a boat, does look nice from the outside when we went by last saturday. It does look reasonably fast too.

May have to attempt to race Jody with my rig, probably will not do too well! with a 203 rating currently boat for boat!!!!!

Marty

#32 ·
Marty if my handling of the spinnaker thingy is not already an indication - just imagine how confused I am going to be with all those back stays, adjusters , poles and winches I will have now to contemplate on...I'll probably master sailing backwards before I do anything, that thing has more lines and stuff than I thought could ever be installed...

sigh a thought comes to mind in regards to me and the new boat:

"Toto, you're not sailing a Catalina anymore." :)

You have nothing to fear my friend :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.