SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to patch a 3/16 inch holes with glass mat
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008
Heavy on the Mr. part

luckytexan is on a distinguished road
Answer to Pm

Sorry I can't answer PM's until I have at least 10 posts and I have just joined here.

The little holes were filled with chopped fiberglass strand and epoxy only, then I faired with the microballoons and in a couple of places just epoxy. The chopped glass and epoxy is near bullet proof when dry, however I have read that the glass will wick moisture in so I made sure to always sand a little below flush and get a coat of epoxy over the top to seal it.
I made a composite wooden rudder once, I filled a couple of holes in it using epoxy mixed with sawdust (woodflour) this made an excellent filler as well! The theory is that Epoxy resin is going to be brittle without a filler or some tough fiber to give it a mechanical structure, however with a hole so small you couldn't ever convince me that it would ever be a hazard or problem. I tried filling small holes with pure epoxy but it was too thin and was going to fill my dagger board with epoxy before the hole was filled. Other wise it should be no problem.
One caution tho! I am not sure how much glass work you have done, but approach your finished work with caution, as the glass "Hairs / fibers" are now like hypodermic needles and are razor sharp, many times I have walked up to my work and felt it for dryness, or to see how smooth it is and walked away feeling like I just dug thru the sharps bin at the hospital!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook