SailNet Community - View Single Post - Young couple seeking advice, buying first time cruiser
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
As a comparison, we are spending almost double your entire budget to outfit a boat about twenty years newer boat for this year’s Pacific Cup. Granted, we do need to pass safety inspections and need to pass muster with our insurance company, but suffice to say, outfitting a boat for long distance is expensive. Generally, boats that I see in your price range (and age) are going to require a lot of work and basic things (excluding cruising gear) can easily run $10k. The market place for boats is pretty efficient and I doubt that you will find a boat anywhere near “cruise away” condition in your price range. I don’t know you and I don’t know what your comfort level is and perhaps you can make do with a lot less than I can. Lin and Larry Pardey are famous for cruising on little to no money. Read their books to see how they do it. They’re style of cruising is a bit too ascetic for my tastes, especially after I took a tour of their boat in last year’s Jack London show.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook