SailNet Community - View Single Post - would it be possible to reuse "shrink wrap" / shrink wrapping yourself q's
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008

purvisgs is on a distinguished road
would it be possible to reuse "shrink wrap" / shrink wrapping yourself q's

I need a work area cover (on the cheap) and I see that lots of big yachts are starting to take the shrink wrap off for the summer...

If I plan to buy a lot of tape, would it be possible to use the shrink wrap a second time if I cut out "big chunks" from towards the center where the material was likely not exposed to as much heat initially?

I may just buy new shrink wrap, but I prefer the idea of trying to "recycle" the material, seeing as how it looks like much of the shrink wrap coming off boats has two "flat-ish" side pieces (not yet shrunk as much) that could easily be taped together to cover my whole boat...
I feel comfortable doing this myself, have observed, have torch, etc, Any tips for someone who has never done this before? (assume I am starting with a roll of new shrink wrap).

This is for a "hoop house" pvc style boat coverwith the mast up. I have been fighting tarps all winter and really need something that won't flap and will be 100% watertight to dry the wood out completely... (Yes, I really do need a cover even though winter is over), I am aware of ventilation issues and will do my best to overcome them with lots of clamshell vents and lots of "dry z air " equivalent...

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by purvisgs; 04-10-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook