SailNet Community - View Single Post - would it be possible to reuse "shrink wrap" / shrink wrapping yourself q's
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
The guy next to me is on his 2nd or 3rd year with his shrink wrap - But - that was formed to His boat so little year to year re-shrinking is needed.
I'm ending my second year of self shrinking. The first year was with clear which even at the same mill thickness is harder to work with (burns through easier) so I made a horrible mess. This year I bought white and the combination of 1 years experience/mistakes made for a pretty good job. As for re-shrinking - I did make a bad splice of the 2 major halves in one area and I was able to re-heat it back together with the help of a LOT of Shrink Tape.
Since I bought rolls of the stuff of both flavors next year I'm going to try clear on the south side (for all the solar heat I can get) and white on the north as I basically use 2 pieces. I bought lots of clam shell vents the first year and haven't used any. The first year was a swiss cheese covering any way so no need..... and even this year with a decent wrap - 2 masts and all the associated rigging make it nowwhere near airtight so ventilation has not proved to be an issue for me yet. I also don't wrap the bottom skirt close to the hull at all, in fact I use stand-offs from my metal pipe frame (Frame Maker Clamps) so that I can do my yearly light sand and re-coat of my teak rails and gunwales.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 04-10-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook