SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

would it be possible to reuse "shrink wrap" / shrink wrapping yourself q's

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a work area cover (on the cheap) and I see that lots of big yachts are starting to take the shrink wrap off for the summer...

If I plan to buy a lot of tape, would it be possible to use the shrink wrap a second time if I cut out "big chunks" from towards the center where the material was likely not exposed to as much heat initially?

I may just buy new shrink wrap, but I prefer the idea of trying to "recycle" the material, seeing as how it looks like much of the shrink wrap coming off boats has two "flat-ish" side pieces (not yet shrunk as much) that could easily be taped together to cover my whole boat...
I feel comfortable doing this myself, have observed, have torch, etc, Any tips for someone who has never done this before? (assume I am starting with a roll of new shrink wrap).

This is for a "hoop house" pvc style boat coverwith the mast up. I have been fighting tarps all winter and really need something that won't flap and will be 100% watertight to dry the wood out completely... (Yes, I really do need a cover even though winter is over), I am aware of ventilation issues and will do my best to overcome them with lots of clamshell vents and lots of "dry z air " equivalent...

Thanks for any advice!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The guy next to me is on his 2nd or 3rd year with his shrink wrap - But - that was formed to His boat so little year to year re-shrinking is needed.
I'm ending my second year of self shrinking. The first year was with clear which even at the same mill thickness is harder to work with (burns through easier) so I made a horrible mess. This year I bought white and the combination of 1 years experience/mistakes made for a pretty good job. As for re-shrinking - I did make a bad splice of the 2 major halves in one area and I was able to re-heat it back together with the help of a LOT of Shrink Tape.
Since I bought rolls of the stuff of both flavors next year I'm going to try clear on the south side (for all the solar heat I can get) and white on the north as I basically use 2 pieces. I bought lots of clam shell vents the first year and haven't used any. The first year was a swiss cheese covering any way so no need..... and even this year with a decent wrap - 2 masts and all the associated rigging make it nowwhere near airtight so ventilation has not proved to be an issue for me yet. I also don't wrap the bottom skirt close to the hull at all, in fact I use stand-offs from my metal pipe frame (Frame Maker Clamps) so that I can do my yearly light sand and re-coat of my teak rails and gunwales.

#3 ·
Stan,
You may recall the pics I posted here of my EMT metal conduit frame with Frame Maker Clamps - fully protected the Nauticat for the past 3 winters. Well, the new owner informed me last week that he no longer has a desire to reuse or keep the frame. This came after he disassembled that large Erector Set fabrication.

It was a breeze for me to assemble and take apart each season, because I designed and built it. His experience however differed and justified not needing it since he's sailing her down south before winter.

If you have any need for the frame, it has been removed and is sitting in the yard at NEB - to be tossed in the dumpster I suppose. I had planned on keeping the clamps for the next boat though . . . but that's negotiable.

#6 ·
Not sure if the shrink wrap I buy at HD is any different than the SW for boats at ones favorite marine outlet, but at $12-15 a roll, that is pretty cheap to use and you get quite a bit. Now granted I am not shrink wrapping boats with this stuff, just pallets of pavers and other equal cement landscape wall block items to transport. Is there really a difference in the types of shrink wrap, other than the stuff I get is 18" in width vs bigger for boats?!!?!?!

Also, I am thinking trying to figure this out outloud, so this may be a irrelevant post thought idea too!

Marty

#8 ·
Not sure if the shrink wrap I buy at HD is any different than the SW for boats at ones favorite marine outlet, but at $12-15 a roll
Marty,
As SD mentioned there is quite a size difference and probably a weight difference. The place I used was Shrinkit Inc. and the stuff was 7 mils thick, and I think I ordered the 20' wide by 90' long white stuff last fall. Multi-folded on a 6' roll at 70lbs. I could easily carry it in my pickup and set it up on the tailgate for un-rolling. You choose your size for what you can deal with up to 36' wide :eek:. I don't really think this is one of those "Marine Markup" things as it used for many things..... such as there was a shortage at Katrina time because it was being mass ordered for shelters etc... As with most things Bulk saves $$ so even without knowing the length of your stuff I would bet I got much more square feet and thickness for my $$$ (did a quick search and didn't find my price).

#7 ·
Blt2ski-

The stuff for boats is considerably wider than 18" and IIRC a bit heavier thickness. Also, the film for boats may be treated for UV resistance, which probably wouldn't be the case on the film you're wrapping pallets with.

#9 ·
Thanks for info on the "boat" SWrap. I can not remember the thickness off the top of my head, 4-6 mils thick IIRC min. About 15-18" wide on a roll that is easy to wrap around pallets of premanufactured concrete etc. One could also use it on furniture etc. Probably the same material, but in the end, manufactured for a different purpose , size on a roll etc.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.