SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing down the west coast anyone?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Made the trip from San Fransico to San Diego last April, as spring is the first good time to make that run. There are plenty of marinas or ports down the coast, so you could pull into one everday if you wanted. Not as many places to anchor off that are considered safe, at least until you get around Pt Conception. We sailed/motored almost all the way down, but I understand that sometime after April you should be able to sail all the way.

If you pull into San Francisco take the main channel, watch out for commercial ships, and time the tide so you get under the Golden Gate bridge at slack...best time I think. A must stop is Monterey with the best transient accomodations down the coast, and a very friendly habor master's office. There is plenty to do, and a good place to rest up before going further south.

Once you get down to the Channel Island marina, you'll find it faster to jump over to Catalina Island then down to Oceanside marina (if you're in a hurry), then to sail straight down the coast...but you'll miss some interesting stops.

If you make the Catalina run you have two harbors to moor at (Avalon...lots to do, or Two Harbors...more kick back), but it can get crowded during the nice months. You can anchor off at many places, but because the whole island is a conservatory you can not dingy ashore.

I would get a guide book covering the coast for information of what to expect, watch the weather (it might slow you down), and don't be in a hurry...have a good time...I did!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook