SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Lake Champlain marina
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008
Charter Sailor

csasser is on a distinguished road
I can't imagine driving only a few hours to Lake Champlain. We live in Spartanburg, SC, and charter on the lake during the summer. We charter from a company at Mooney Bay Marina which is just above Plattsburg, NY. We then sail (and motor) down to Westport Marina (with a stop over at Sloop Cove at Valcour Island). My sister in-law rents a place on the water a few houses south of the old Yacht Club at Westport which is now a restaurant. (plus there is another restaurant at the Marina) We have rented slips in the Marina but prefer to anchor just south of the Marina because of the noise from both of the restaurant plus during a storm it is much more comfortable on the hook than in the Marina. My guess is that Westport Marina is not nearly as protected as Willsboro, but that is a guess since we have never sailed into Willsboro Bay. Maybe this summer.

We love the quaint little town of Westport and agree with others regarding the “family” atmosphere at the Marina (not really "southern hospitality" though ) and in fact the mechanic that fixed our bilge pump on one of our charters is “part of the family”. The “old salt” at the marina whose name I can’t remember, is a great resource for information regarding the lake and encourages everyone to be safe.

You may see us in Westport the first week in August this summer on a Beneteau 31 named “Carpe Diem" pumping out or at anchored in the harbor just to the south.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Charter Sailing Stories, Tips, & Resources
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook