SailNet Community - View Single Post - AM I READY?
Thread: AM I READY?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
AM I READY?

casey1004,

You don''t mention whether you will have any competent crew with you. Can your spouse be counted on to provide effective help? If not, maybe you are asking a bit much. If yes, then read on.

I admire folks who recognize their limitations (we all have them), but I am surprised you don''t feel confident enough at this stage after all the schooling and experience you have had. If you felt confident during all the recent training on larger boats, it sounds to me like you should be ready. I had less preparation than you for my first charter last year in the BVIs and it went very well on a 45'' boat.

IMHO, the biggest thing is to use sound judgement and common sense. The mechanics of handling the boat should be pretty easy for you at this point, except maybe docking in stronger winds (but how often will you have to do that? once during the charter?) Think things through before executing them and have multiple escape plans.

I believe there are a significant number of folks sailing charters down there who are fairly incompetent or inebriated, or both, and (thankfully) they seem to get by without too much incident. If you stay sober while underway, and pay attention, you should be just fine.

BTW, we''re leaving Tuesday for our second charter there - 10 days this time! Can''t wait.

Good luck and go!

Duane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook