SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice for first time on ocean
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I remember my first time at the ocean, and that I have ...

dreamed for that years before, so I dreamed the situation so many times, it showed to us like realization ! You're right, although your transon can take water, make sure it can leave at same rate. The problem is when it gets trapped in the cockpit finding its way downstairs, through locker, or even on main entrance. Once you keep things down there dry, you're ok. Well, swells are exactly what drives me going back over and over. The balance of the boat, the feel of up/down , really attract us. Make sure there will be no breakers (usually too wind), and avoid close rocky coasts, as these swells will reflect on the rock and will counteract against new ones arriving, making its shape too steep (I mean, its top will be more sharp), prone to break and very unconfortable, specially taking it sideways. You're correct also about the lenght/frequency of each wave, the longer and les frequent will give you more pleasure. Remember, all these will be affected on how close you're to the coast and its shape. Anyway, enjoy and after a while you'll be hipnotized as well ...... in a good sense .....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook