SailNet Community - View Single Post - Determination of characteristics
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Determination of characteristics

I am looking at a boat with the displacement given as 15000 dry and 17000 presumably with tanks filled. Which figure is typically given so that one can compare boat characteristics?
Secondly it comes in cutter or sloop. I would imagine sail area is compared on the basis of 100% foretriangle. The sloop area is 583 with main 302 jib 281. The cutter has the same main but staysail of 134 and a yankee given variously as 374 or 343 totalling 776-810. Is this because the cutter has the mast further aft so the foretriangle is a bit bigger? Even so that doesn't seem to fit because the yankee looked like say 75% of the foretriangle to me.
How does one compare sail area on a cutter v a sloop?
There is no bowsprit so if the mast is in fact moved back one would expect some some increase in foresail size to balance the boat with the same sized main, but then should you really add in the staysail as well as a larger foresail? The combined difference seems a bit high to me. The boat is a Cabot 36 and the figures come from both the original 1970s specs and the new ones since they have started rebuilding them so there is a possibility of a typo or the sailplan having been changed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook