SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living on a mooring
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of this depends on the mooring contract. IF the marina owns the mooring, and you pay the marina the mooring fees, then you probably have some rights to use their dinghy dock, showers, and parking lot... but it will be spelled out in the contract more likely than not. If the mooring isn't owned by the marina, chances are pretty good that you don't have any rights to use any of their facilities.

Most moorings are rented seasonally, at least in New England. Getting a mooring from the city might save you some money on the front end, but it would cost you more in the long run, in terms of convenience. A seasonal mooring is probably $800 or so from a marina, but generally would have amenities like a launch service or use of a dinghy dock, water, showers, laundry and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaliasvejas View Post
How does this work?
I am all paid up 'till next spring (wow), but that was a big check, for me at least...
I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to live on a mooring in the summer. A few winter livaborders are moving to the ball and chain life style, but I am apprehensive. My boat does not have the holding capacity or the water tonnage as the bigger cruisers. I used to have a mooring near one of the islands in Casco Bay, but it was too shallow....
Do marinas usually allow people on the mooring to dock the dinghy and park the car? How about showers and laundry? Pump outs? Water?
What is the usual payment arrangement? Monthly, seasonal? Per week?
I could just get a personal mooring from the city and pay the $50 seasonal fee, but I would be on my own, no place to tie up the dink or secure parking...
I have seen people do it... but...
Any one's personal experience would be helpful...

The Seeker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook