I have been experimenting with butyl tape. So far I have gotten very good results. It works especially well on tracks where you don't want goop oozing out and clogging the tracks. I used the grey rather than black butyl since it does not bleed as bad as the black. One minor point, I did use Sikaflex on the bolts when I inserted them, since I was not all that confident in the adhesion between the butyl and the threads of the bolts.
If you do go the Sikaflex caulk idea for bedding the tracks, I suggest that you insert a soft rubber washer that is larger than the bolt at each bolt hole to act as a spacer so that you end up with a caulking bed that has some thickness to it.