SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard? Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003

polar palm tree is on a distinguished road
Living aboard? Where to start?

I live-aboard my Sagitta 30. I have read Nigals Cruising guide and enjoyed it. He gives great information but remember, there are other ways to be safe, and have a great lifestyle without all the "optimal" things. I suggest people also read Lynn and Larry Pardeys'' books. "The Self Sufficient Cruiser" is an excellent source to look as a less costly way to have the same amount of fun. You don''t need a 40'' boat, a nav. station with all the latest electronics and gadgets to go cruising. I also suggest reading "The voyager''s Handbook and "Cruisers Handbook" by the Roth''s, and "Cruising on a budget" (can''t remember who wrote it). I admit if I had to follow only Nigal''s advice, I would never be able to afford to go cruising and my dream would be snuffed out like a candle flame! His advice is very good, don''t get me wrong, but it''s optimal for people with butdgets that I can only dream about! I currently cruise and live in Southeast Alaska on the boat. Yes sometimes 30 feet seems small, but I can handle the boat and maintain it by myself (I am 4''11" female). The boat sure seems big when doing the maintenance though! Good luck to all of you and to each person there is the perfect cruising vessel.......might even be a trawler......OK I am pressing it here, but it is the lifestyle, not the method of propulsion!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook