SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on a large modern sailboat
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008

danontuba is on a distinguished road
Smile advice on a large modern sailboat

Friends,

I am new to sailing and to this forum, and I´m humbly asking for advice on purchasing a comfortable, modern sailboat to live aboard. (No, I have not had the chance to read past articles on this forum, but I will begin a search through the archives) Nevertheless, I am curious to post my questions, in case anyone might give some tips and insight.

I´m seeking a comfortable boat to live aboard here in Brazil and possibly to spend some time in France as well. "Performance" is not a criteria at the moment, but the most comfort possible (like air conditioning, space, good bathrooms etc) is important to me.

My budget is probably not ideal: 90 to 100 thousand euros (140,000 USD) but it would be interesting to know what the experienced members consider the best cost/benefit in the (used or new) market for that budget level.

I´m willing to travel to purchase the boat, so I would like to know which countries may offer the best prices. Here in South America, for example, there seems to be a big difference in prices between Argentina and Brazil, for example.

From what I have seen, boats smaller than 35 feet seem too cramped. The nicest sailboats I have seen so far at some Jeanneaus and Beneteaus (37 to 40 feet), but these are expensive here in Brazil due to high taxes and import duties. Perhaps there is a more efficient market in France?

Well, thanks for any input. Anyone wanting information about Brazil, don´t hesitate to ask.

Daniel

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook