SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on a large modern sailboat
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-15-2008 Thread Starter
danontuba

Smile advice on a large modern sailboat

Friends,

I am new to sailing and to this forum, and Im humbly asking for advice on purchasing a comfortable, modern sailboat to live aboard. (No, I have not had the chance to read past articles on this forum, but I will begin a search through the archives) Nevertheless, I am curious to post my questions, in case anyone might give some tips and insight.

Im seeking a comfortable boat to live aboard here in Brazil and possibly to spend some time in France as well. "Performance" is not a criteria at the moment, but the most comfort possible (like air conditioning, space, good bathrooms etc) is important to me.

My budget is probably not ideal: 90 to 100 thousand euros (140,000 USD) but it would be interesting to know what the experienced members consider the best cost/benefit in the (used or new) market for that budget level.

Im willing to travel to purchase the boat, so I would like to know which countries may offer the best prices. Here in South America, for example, there seems to be a big difference in prices between Argentina and Brazil, for example.

From what I have seen, boats smaller than 35 feet seem too cramped. The nicest sailboats I have seen so far at some Jeanneaus and Beneteaus (37 to 40 feet), but these are expensive here in Brazil due to high taxes and import duties. Perhaps there is a more efficient market in France?

Well, thanks for any input. Anyone wanting information about Brazil, dont hesitate to ask.

Daniel

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome