SailNet Community - View Single Post - advice on a large modern sailboat
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If you are going to sail the boat from Brazil to France, the bene or Jeauneau is the wrong decision in my strong opinion. You need a "bluewater" capable boat. If you are going to ship the boat there via dockwise, it would be fine.

I chose Catalina as a good boat for a liveaboard and long distance coastal cruiser (if that makes sense). THough others have taken my boat across the ponds, it would not be my choice to do so with the many changes that would be necessary. However, I did not buy a "bluewater" because of the many tradeoffs in those types of boats - like the fact that most (esp smaller ones under 40') are quite cramped.

You could purchase the boat from the US. The dollar would play in your favor, I think. Florida has many boats that fit that description. Be cautious as there is a lot of junk too.

If you are determined to sail across the Atlantic, I would buy the bluewater. Tayana was the best choice me and my father came up with. He recently purchased a Tayana Vancouver 42. It would be about in your price range. I remember there being a V-42 also for sale in Guatemala when we were looking. That would be much closer to you. THey are the best compromise between liveaboard comfort, made well, and long distance cruiser that we found in that price range.

Others will have different opinions.

- CD

PS Here is the link. I thought the boat was in Guatemala... and it may have been at the time. It is now in Ecuador. Looks good from pics...

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42 Center Cockpit Boat For Sale

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook