SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ryobi vs. Makita vs. Poliglow??
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Ryobi vs. Makita vs. Poliglow??

Buffed, polished and waxed my 1977 Pearson 30 last year using a Ryobi 10” orbital buffer with only so-so results. The finish came up somewhat, but I was hardly blown away by the results. This year I’m on the fence between investing (ahem…) in a Makita 9227C polisher and doing it right, or (gasp!) going the Poli-Glow route and doing it quick.

So, I’m seeking opinions on two fronts…

1) Done a lot of research on Poli-Glow – here and elsewhere – and am aware of all the pros and cons (for the record, I have a light blue hull so I don’t expect any yellowing issues that some have reported). I’ve read and re-read CardiacPaul’s thread on his experience last year… Aesthetically, I’m maybe a little uncomfortable with the concept of sheathing my hull in a plastic coating, but confident I’d get good results with proper prep and application on my older gelcoat.

2) Makita vs. Ryobi… Knowing that it all comes down to the person using the tool, how much different will the performance of a professional-quality tool like a Makita 9227C affect the outcome vs. a HomeDepot Ryobi 10” buffer? I also know if I add a wetsanding phase, I can get some better results, but am a little concerned about just how thin the gelcoat is.

At this point, money really isn’t the issue – it’s a swing of about $100… It’s either ~$60 for the Poli-Glow or ~$177 for the Makita (I have plenty of compound, polish and wax already).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook