SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003

kmeeks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kmeeks Send a message via Skype™ to kmeeks
Who''''s living on what??

I''ve lived aboard my 32 ft. 1971 Islander, Renaissance, for almost one year now.

The first night on board was the most magical night of my adult life. Laying in the v-berth - listening to the waves crashing on the breakwater nearby...the gentle motion of the boat in the slip.

Before moving aboard I was a little bit concerned about the hassle of walking to the club house to take a shower every day - but it hasn''t registered as a problem in the actual experience of it. [unless you get too wound up about the periodic mysterious disappearance of the odd towel or bottle of shampoo]

I enjoy my "home" - I moved all my worldy posssessions into a storage facility - and with the exception of finding enough room onboard for a small subset of the 500+ books I have in storage...32 ft. is a comfortable size for me now. Of course, I always wish there was "more" room.

In the last few months I''ve made two modifications which have greatly improved the "livability" of my boat: a solar powered exhaust fan for the head, and a hanging rod in the head to serve as a make-shift closet. This has allowed me to move most of my clothes out of the main salon where they were hanging.

I have a large trunk that I purchased at Target for about $20 that is on the floor in the salon - it serves as additional clothing storage.

I installed a shelf for a small TV/VCR combo on the port bulkhead in the main salon - and that eliminated the hassle of moving the tv from the small settee when guests need a place to sit.

The list of future improvement projects is long - and I am really enjoying the learning curve as I tackle each new challenge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook