SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paint Build-up or Barrier Coat?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Paint Build-up or Barrier Coat?

I have a 1988 Catalina 22 with an unknown history of bottom paint. It had an ablative-type bottom paint and I've begun the sanding process but am not sure how far to go... Does anyone know how to tell the difference between paint build-up and a barrier coat?

I have no idea if this boat has ever had a barrier coat and don't want to inadvertantly sand too far if one is already there. I've attached 4 pictures showing the current conditions.

The first is what looks to be an old repair showing its age.
The second is of the spider cracks that can be found in some areas on the bottom. I'm not sure if these are cracks in a paint build-up or cracks in a barrier coat.
The third is where the bootstripe meets the bottom coating. The white is where the bare gel has come through.
Finally, picture four is another representative of the types of cracks I find on the bottom.

My question is two-fold - does anyone know if if this is a barrier coat or just paint buildup and what should I do about it before painting with Micron Extra. I've been contemplating the laborous job of sanding the entire hull to bare gel coat, filling it, and applying a new barrier. Any thoughts??? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (36.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (27.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (40.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg pic4.jpg (40.0 KB, 111 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook