SailNet Community - View Single Post - Picking a surveyer
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Picking a surveyer

not to flame paulk but I would strongly disagree with getting a list of surveyors from the broker; he is representing the interests of the SELLER of the boat and, if the surveyor is aligned with the broker somehow you may not get the critic survey you deserve. Take my word for it; I used the broker''s surveyor on my last boat and am still paying for MAJOR structural repairs, re-rigging, and an engine replacement. What a nightmare. Goto the NAMS or SAMS website. They list members by state. Call a couple of different guys and find out what they cover in the survey and how much they charge. Any that is worth his salt will send you a sample report and will let you accompany him during the survey. (Which can be a great learning experience.) Depending on the cost of the boat, complexity, and rigging you may want to get a rigger to look at the rig and a mechanic to look at the engine. A proper survey is NOT possible if the boat is left in the water. Haul it out and let it dry for a bit if possible. A good surveyor should find a laundry list of problems; most will probably be minor. These problems can all help you negotiate the price down. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook