SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a used sailboat
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003

ogc is on a distinguished road
Buying a used sailboat

For years I have been interested in buying a sailboat (25-35'') very inexpensively, refurbishing it, and then sailing it. For me, time is generally not an issue when it comes to refurbishment but finances are. I also work with someone who has the same interests and would probably enter this endeavor with me as a co-owner. (Co-ownership is another discussion for another day.)

At any rate... I see tons of smaller boats (around 25'') advertised all over the internet and elsewhere for under $3-4000. Most say they are in need of some kind of TLC or repair/refurbishment. Most are 60s/70s and some 80s vintage.

I am wondering if it is possible to find a decent boat of that size and vintage that will not break the bank (require no more than $1000 to $2000) to refurbish and which will make a great weekend, coastal sailer? Basically, I am searching for a sound boat but in need of cosmetic refurbishment.

I don''t really want to spend the money for the boat search if finding a reasonably good boat is either impossible or almost impossible. Also, I am not an experienced boat refurbisher but have basic woodworking, painting, etc, skills. Please let me know if this is the beginning of a "wild goose chase" or if I may be on the right track. Your time and information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook