SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a used sailboat
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 07-09-2003
Silmaril

Buying a used sailboat

Years ago, my father and I were constantly looking for a "Good Used Boat" in the range you describe. We always used a guide line that a G.U.B. should cost about $1,000 per foot. Anything less would probably take the difference to bring it up to standard.

A few years ago, I purchased a "Fixer Upper" at about half of the $1k per foot guide and have expended a good deal of time, money and effort to bring her to the G.U.B. level.

I have been involved in boats for 35 years, and spent a number of years as a rigger at a marina, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

The $5,000 25'' boat that needs "A little TLC" may knock you for a loop. Older vessels have blistering problems to deal with. Not to mention all the systems, through hulls, rig etc. As far as a wood boat is concerned, the knowledge, cost, and maintenance can humble even the most wealthy individuals.

If you find what could be the perfect boat, you still need a survey by a qualified Marine Surveyor. No insurance company will touch an older boat without one, and YOU need one just so you can have a list of all the "Projects" you have ahead of you.

I have 1 year to go in my projected 5 year time-line to bring my boat up to fully found condition. It has been a labor of love for me, and I wish you all the luck in the world, but proceed with caution and beware the deal "Too good to be true". There can be rough waters ahead for you.

I agree with sailmc, get a smaller boat, learn the ropes, and then get into your project with eyes wide open.

Good luck!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome