SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Greek charter, looking for hints...
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003

Req is on a distinguished road
First Greek charter, looking for hints...

Hey chums.

So I''m slated to take my first charter in a mere 6 weeks. I''ve already got a crew, boat, and charter company picked out so I don''t need any help with that - and I''ll post my thoughts on the company after I return - but I am a bit curious whether there''s anything I ought to know as a first-time charterer that''s not immediately apparent.

I (and a crew of 4 others) will be taking a Jeanneau Sun Oddessey 36.2 from Athens for 14 days. The route isn''t yet decided for sure but the boat''s due back in Syros, so we''re thinking of a loop down into the Cyclades perhaps as far south as Santorini before heading back north to Syros. We won''t have a skipper along as we''re pretty confidant in our own skills.

So, anything that y''all have experienced in your charters that you wish someone had told you beforehand? For example, provisioning - cheaper in Athens than in the islands? Hints on things to bring that might not occur to me? Tips on how to deal with charter companies, other boaters, etc? Really, any advice that might be useful would be a good thing. Route suggestions or tips are also welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,

-Req
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook