SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from the UK into the Mediterranean
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
You are aware you will be sailing in the gulf of Biscay aren't you??

Do some searching about it..then re-think the going...

You will also be sailing the Portuguese trades wich blow south from Vigo to around the Cape of Roca in Sintra Portugal...that alone will also grow some hair in your chest. We're talking about downwind runs in 30 plus knot winds..for 3 days

Now...it is not impossible and you will get a lot of fun and unforgetable experiences when you do.

I just think that all the sailing you made in dinghies is good and will allow you safely handle the boat, but also highly recommend you do some larger boat sailing, some real bad weather sailing and above all read and learn how to cope and proceed in rough weather...it will be there waiting for you, and believe me, it's not pretty, strikes un-anounced, and you will be forced to sail along the coast of France where sometimes finding a stop over marina is hard..

But again..I think you will like it...

Also..read about sailing in the staright of Gibraltar...

Or fly there and charter in the med...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook